While Joram is running at 1% brain battery, Tegan makes up for the lack of a decent podcast partner by bringing a really cool paper: researchers found a 30 second timer within venus fly traps. Plus more sutff!
Paper of the week: Suda, H., Mano, H., Toyota, M. et al. Calcium dynamics during trap closure visualized in transgenic Venus flytrap. Nat. Plants 6, 1219–1224 (2020).
Article about the paper in sciencenews (with video)
Article on transformed Mimosa pudica by the same author
More about touch in plants on Plants and Pipettes
Touch-a, Touch-a, Touch me
Hungry caterpillar sends vibrations through leaves
Our very first podcast episode, including a paper about touch in plants
- Sick bats naturally social distance themselves which makes mask deniers officially dumber than a bat
- Cool bat content on instagram at @batsforlife_kristen
- Newts are cool
- Time Warp by Tenacious D
- Cutest Dinosaur baby
- New research shows that we underestimated the carbon sink capacity of some chinese forests
- Pandas mate on video in the wild
- The worst name for bacteria
- Restoring indigenous names in latin nomenclature
- What does the electron transport chain look like in the cell?
All views are our own. If you want to comment or correct anything we said, leave a comment under this post or reach out to us via twitter, facebook or instagram.
Our opening and closing music is Caravana by Phillip Gross
Until next time!